A candid, no holds barred look at those screwy college nicknames. You know the ones. Hoyas, Tar Heels. Yeah. Those ones.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004



I'm not a big Portland Trailblazer fan, but I live in Portland and through my second job I'm able to watch all of their home games at the Rose Garden Arena. I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, just a follower. Anyway, I've always thought the "Blazers" was a cool nickname, just because it's so unusual. It makes sense for the Northwest, since there many who blazed trails to the west. I could never figure out their logo, though. That's it up above. It's a nice "pinwheel," but it just doesn't tie in with anything. I mean, if you’re a Bull or a Timberwolf, at least you have something to go by. I thought Portland's NBA team were the only "blazers" around. Turns out I'm wrong.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham – UAB – also uses the Blazer moniker.



But, hey, their nickname and mascot make sense! A dragon! Blazers! Get it?

Actually, there are some other teams that are called the Blazers:
Belhaven College (Jackson, Mississippi)
College of Saint Benedict (Saint Joseph, Minnesota)
Elms College (Chicopee, Massachusetts)
Hood College (Frederick, Maryland)
Valdosta State University (Valdosta, Georgia)

Who would have thought?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home